Thursday, June 4, 2009

Back to School

June 3, 2009

Holy Cow, what a weekend!  Italians really like their holidays.  Tuesday was a national holiday so most places took off both Monday and Tuesday off.  It was SOOO hard for me to get up and get to class this morning.  I DID NOT want to go!  I that if I felt that way then the students were going to be even worse.  And…they were. 

Our first class was the 3rd class.  Professor M. was looking over their grades and he asked this one student why he wouldn’t do better.  This student is the designated “coffee boy”.  He always offers to run to the bar to get the teacher some coffee when he needs it.  He doesn’t seem to have a very good grade but he’s charismatic and amusing.  He said, “Prof, the most important thing to me is our friendship!”  Its kind of sad…but sort of true in a way.  I mean, letter grades probably wont matter in the eternal perspective but they will when it comes down to trying to get into a good university.  Professor M. had the students watch some more of the Dead Poet’s Society that we started last Thursday.  I was so glad because I did not want to listen to the drone of lecture that early in the morning today. 

The next class was the 4th class.  Some of them had taken the PET during the break, which is the English Proficiency Test.  I don’t get how these kids could possibly get good grades on those sorts of tests if they cheat in class all the time.  How do they get by on tests they can’t cheat on?  I was pretty tired during the whole class time.  I tried to read my notes that I wrote during the class but they hardly make sense and I don’t even remember if we actually did anything related to English. 

The next hour we had a break and I worked on sorting the answers to the Survey that I gave to the 5th class last Friday.  It took me a while because I was trying to figure out Excel.  I haven’t really used it before so I had to read a lot of the helps. 

The next class was the 2nd G class.  Professor M. asked them to take out their workbooks and do certain exercises but only 3 people out of the whole class had brought their book.  He got really mad then!  Well, I don’t know if it was REALLY mad, it was just more annoyed that I’ve seen him before.  He threatened them with a considerable amount of summer homework and lectured them on how much they suck.  Poor kids…I don’t think it’ll get through anytime soon.  He had them work on another book that only about 5 students in the class had so they all crowded around these books.  They still didn’t do very well when the teacher interrogated them on what they had read which made him even more angry.  I wasn’t feeling well during the class.  I was feeling light headed and weird.  I’m pretty sure it’s because of this whole weekend.  I hate it when my daily schedule gets interrupted, it totally throws off my rhythm. 

The last class was the 5th class.  They were SOOOO distracted!  I can’t only imagine: these kids are about to graduate and it’s the last period of the day.  It felt as if it were Friday because they all wanted to get out of class early to go home.  The interrogation was on the influences of the 19th century and the girl that was being interrogated was really quiet and didn’t speak very well so the whole time the teacher was just yelling at her.  It feels like everyone has already checked out for the summer already.  I was really sleepy the whole class and it was quite…painful.  

No comments: