Monday, May 25, 2009

Victims.

May 21, 2009

Yay, I finally woke up on time!!  But of course I still took my sweet time in the shower and was running late by the time I finally left the house.  I took the bike ride slow because it’s starting to get hot even in the mornings and I hate getting to school all sweaty and gross.  Well, I keep complaining that it’s hot but in reality its only like 83 degrees.  That’s like nothing to all my peeps in El Centro. 

So our first class was the 3rd.  We gave them a listening quiz.  Professor Monaci had a recording on tape that they had to listen to and answer questions about.  It took the whole class period because Professor Monaci let them hear it about 3 times and then he gave them plenty of time to fill in the answers.  After he collected them they talked about it.  At the end of class we also talked bout the difference between the words job, work, profession, and career.  I’ve never realized how difficult it really is to explain these things and how to use them.  It just seems like a natural thing. 

The next two classes were the 2nd  A and G.  They got a listening test also; only it was an easier listening piece about the Incas.  They complained it was a bit too difficult but Prof M. taught them how they should look at the questions first and try to listen for those specific answers and not worry about the rest.  I think this is useful for beginners because it makes it so that they concentrate and listen for specific things.  If they keep at it then slowly the jumble of words will become recognizable to them. 

The last class was the 4th class.  Prof M. told me that he’s sort of their ‘advisor’ so he discusses several things with them such as how poorly they are doing at school and that they really need to step it up.  I think maybe one of the students had had all he could take because he sort of when on a rampage about how he feels like the teachers don’t respect the students and how he feels victimized.  He feels singled out and he feels that the teachers don’t treat the students as they should be treated.  The professor was like; “are you seriously defending these guys,” at that exact moment one of the girls was drawing a tattoo on the forearm of the boy sitting next to her.  It was pretty amusing.  These kids are so much drama!  About 70% of class time today was spent on just discussing these things…in Italian.  Hmm…effective?  Who knows…must be the Italian way!

No comments: