April 25 2009
Rome
I woke up early in the morning so I could be at the Vatican early. Dr. Noble told us that we had to get the early. It was early so there weren’t a lot of people on the metro, which was good because I was somewhat worried about the big crowds on the metro. I got in to see the Vatican Museums at around 8:45. The very first thing that I went to see was the Sistine Chapel. This was absolutely amazing! Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel not on his back but standing up on a platform with his head looking upward towards the ceiling while he painted. He had lasting problems because of the strain on his neck. The whole ceiling and altar wall is covered in frescoes of scenes from Genesis. Some of the most famous ones are the Creation of Adam and the Last Judgment. This chapel is used by cardinals when electing a new pope. The paintings are absolutely beautiful. Michelangelo was reluctant at first to accept this job in the 1500’s. He preferred sculpture to art, which is evident in his work because all the figures are drawn with detailed anatomical features. There were several guards around the chapel making sure that everyone was quiet and I really liked this because it brought a very reverent feeling into the room. It felt sooooo awesome to look up at that ceiling and see things that are so well known. Another really cool thing that I saw at the Vatican was the School of Athens by Raphael. This painting was made to reflect the Humanist belief that there could be perfect harmony between Classical culture and Christianity in the search for truth. In this painting you see a discussion between Plato and Aristotle and there are others like Leonardo da Vinci and Bramante and even Michelangelo. After I left the Vatican Museums I went around to the other side of the area where there is St. Peters Basilica. This basilica draws pilgrims and tourists from all over because it is said to house the tomb of the Apostle Peter. The basilica was designed by Michelangelo but the dome itself was not completed in his lifetime. The basilica also houses Michelangelo’s Pietà which is a sculpture of Mary holding Jesus’ body after his crucifixion. This sculpture is one of my favorites. Even though Mary’s body is unrealistically large I love the way that she is holding her son after he was treated so cruelly. Michelangelo’s artistic hand can be seen in the way that Mary’s clothes fall around her and the way that Jesus’s body is draped across her lap.
After I got done seeing all this I was so tired and my feet were hurting bad but I really wanted to see the coliseum. I took the metro to the right stop and walked up towards the right street and then…BAAM. The coliseum is right there as soon as you exit the metro. I wasn’t expecting it to be so close to the stop so I was really surprised not only to see it there but…to actually be in ROME at the COLISEUM that I always see in pictures and the movies. The Coliseum was built in 80 AD and it could hold up to 55,000 people. Its not in very good shape but it was still really awesome to see what is left of it. Then I went over to look at the Roman Forum which is part of the remains of the ancient city. Basically it just looks like a bunch of broken up rocks and some columns everywhere but if you see a map of what it actually looked like it is really cool. I rounded the corner and took a peak at the Victor Emmanuel Monument which was erected in honor of Victor Emanuel II who was the first king of unified Italy. After that I headed back to the metro station and took the metro home because I was just completely pooped.
Seeing Rome for the first time was really, really awesome. At first I was really sad that I was there alone but once I started seeing things I didn’t feel so lonely which really comforted me. I hate doing the alone thing…it really bites.
No comments:
Post a Comment