Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I missed the bus!!!

April 28, 2009

This morning we were late for the bus.  I misunderstood Rita and I thought that the bus was at 8:20 when it reality it was at 7:45.  So we totally missed the one that stopped right outside her door.  She was like yelling at us in her really loud Italian tone.  It was like the world was about to end.  But instead we just had to walk a bit up the hill and take the bus that was like a few minutes later, which still put us at school like 15 minutes early.  School today went a bit faster than it did yesterday.  Classes for me ended at 1:30 and then Hillary and I went out and got a slice of pizza for lunch.  She had to be back at school at 2:30 for classes for her internship.  My afternoon classes will be Wednesday and Thursday.  I really enjoyed the Italian classes today.  We learned quite a bit of new vocabulary, most of which I knew but got a much better grasp of various meanings it could have.  I really like learning from the Italians and being able to practice speaking with them.  When Hillary got done with her classes we headed home and had dinner with Rita and Martina.  Rita made us some pesto, which was really good with salad and sausage for the second course.  During dinner Rita’s step grandson came to visit.  Her step grandson is 9 and he’s from the Ukraine.  Her son is living with a Ukrainian lady.  I asked Rita about her husband and she said that they are separated.  The funny thing is that he lives in the basement of the house.  Since the house belongs to both of them and housing is so expensive here in Italy they are content with this arrangement.  Rita said that a lot of marriages don’t last here in Italy and that it is much better to live with someone for a while before getting married.  I very politely said, “Wow, Rita, that’s really to bad that marriages aren’t lasting to long but I really don’t agree with your theory.”  To each his own, and she just shrugged.  I was so surprised at what this lady said.  Usually older people are very old fashioned and really value marriage and family so I was kind of taken back at how resolved she was that marriage just doesn’t last.  I am just so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel that we as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints have about eternal marriage and families.  I cannot wait to get started with my own little eternal family. 

Now I have to finish my homework so I can get to bed and not miss my bus again tomorrow morning.

The scenery of this place is really really pretty.  Our ride to school was so pretty and our ride home was beautiful also.  It’s so funny to see the difference between Hillary and me.  She is just amazed by everything she sees here…me, I’m a bit less astounded by it because its not my first time here.  Even though Siena is pretty, Verona and Como still have my heart.  

Today was hard.  I really missed home and especially JR.  I feel like I have a lot of things to be grateful for.  I am grateful for this awesome opportunity that I have to be here and have this experience.  And even though its hard, I will trust in God’s timing.   

1 comment:

Hiram, Tashina, Nora, and Hiram Dean said...

Hey girl...sure miss you here. I hope you are having a fabulous time!