May 28, 2009
This morning was lovely! It was a bit windy but the wind felt good. During my ride to school I thought of how incredibly it is that I’m living in TUSCANY and riding my bike through the hills. J
The first class was the 3rd class. We met in the computer lab and started watching the film, Dead Poet’s Society. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it and it was really nice to just watch movie. The teacher would stop the film every few minutes to explain difficult words or context. In the movie Robin Williams says, “Small ideas can change the world.” I immediately thought about my dad, Blake Miles. It seems like my dad always has LOTS of ideas about everything and is constantly trying to share them. I don’t know if they have changed the world but I’m pretty sure that a quite a few of his ideas have changed my life. Thanks Dad, I love you.
The next class we had was the 2nd G class. We were still in the lab and the students begged Professor M. to let them watch a movie instead of doing grammar excercises. They were like, “Why can’t we watch a movie too?!” And his answer was, “Perche siete TONNI!” This made me laugh…literally it means, “Because you’re tuna fish.” But I guess I tuna fish can also refer to someone who is not all that bright. Man, these things make me laugh so much!! Anyway, he totally gave in and let them watch About a Boy starring Hugh Grant. When the teacher would pause and ask them questions about the plot they couldn’t really answer. I think these kids need more vocabulary help. Hmm…
The next class was the 2nd A class. It is constantly surprising to me that this class is SOOO much better than the other 2nd class. They got to start About a Boy also but they were so much faster and understanding and it made for a much enjoyable class.
The last class of the day was the 4th class. Professor M. had planned to give them a listening quiz but as soon as he got to class they just started complaining and he just let them vote on taking the quiz or throwing it out. He’s already canceled a few other tests that they’ve taken because of low scores. Most of them wanted to take the quiz so they did. Man, sometimes when you look at these kids you think they might be good kids and really sweet but as soon as you put them in a classroom and have them take a test they turn into little cheating monsters!! Oh well. A former student of President M.’s came in after the quiz and so everyone just chit-chatted for the rest of the period…in Italian. SO LAID BACK. Oh well!
Well, I just finished my lunch. I had a yummy panino. I got it at this place a main little street in the center of the city. There’s this really nice lady who runs the place and yesterday when I was a euro short she still let me have the pasta that I bought. She said it was the “student discount.” I was going to pay her back today but she just smiled and gave me the “student discount” again on my panino. She’s so nice!
No comments:
Post a Comment